Background on Community Character Engagement
The City of Regina seeks greater clarity on the heritage and architectural features within the Cathedral and Lakeview neighbourhoods that contribute to the unique character of these communities. This project has been formed to provide this clarity.
The Community Character (Lakeview and Cathedral) project was created on the basis of a report to Regina Planning Commission (CR21-43 Options for Regulating Heritage and Architectural Design) on March 10, 2021. Further direction to establish the resourcing and project approach was given based on a report to City Council (CM21-7 Opportunities to Regulate Heritage and Architectural Design) on April 14, 2021.
The following are the highlights of these reports:
- City Council has asked for a review of opportunities to regulate heritage and/or architectural design specific to the Cathedral and Lakeview neighbourhoods.
- Consultations with stakeholders and the broader community is expected.
- The Cathedral and Lakeview Community Associations are encouraged to play a leadership role in these consultations.
- This project will proceed in parallel with the ongoing Neighbourhood Planning Program to avoid impacting current planning efforts underway in other areas of the city. The results of this project shall inform future Neighbourhood Plans.
- The Cathedral neighbourhood is currently scheduled for Neighbourhood Plan renewal within five (5) years. It is #10 on the list.
- The Lakeview neighbourhood is currently scheduled for Neighbourhood Plan renewal sometime in the next 5-10 years.
- Funding to engage a consultant and temporary assignment of internal staff was approved. Wallace Insights was contracted to lead this project.
Consultation has concluded